Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hockey Cake

When my Nephew called and asked me to make him a cake for his 13th Birthday, I should've thought twice when I told him, "Anything you want"...... Now, both of my Nephew's are HUGE hockey fans, but Jeremy seems to be a bit torn between his favorite NHL teams. So when he told me, "I want a Boston Bruins and San Jose Sharks cake with the Stanley Cup and Rings that look like Super Hero rings, but with the team emblems on them..." I knew I was in trouble. HOW was I going to incorporate both teams on 1 cake without it looking totally tacky???? Well, here's my attempt.....
I attempted to make each layer resemble hockey pucks, so I covered them with Black Fondant. I have fallen in LOVE with Duff's Fondant. Not only is it easier to work with than Wilton's, the colors are more vibrant and it actually tastes decent. I also used the fondant to stripe the cakes. I designed the Bruins emblem on MTC and cut it out of Wilton's gumpaste. Tried to use Duff's gumpaste and ended up throwing it in the trash. The Sharks emblem proved too difficult to cut, so I just spelled out Sharks and cut them from the Cricut Varsity Letter cartridge. Luckily, I found a Stanley Cup SVG and cut it using MTC out of gumpaste. I cut two images, put lollipop sticks between the two, glued them together with liquified gumpaste and painted them with Silver Pearl Dust. After transporting to the Ice Rink for the party, I placed the Stanley Cup atop the cake and added some cake charms that I hung stars that I cut from gumpaste. Jeremy was thrilled with the cake....

2 comments: